Monday, June 29, 2015

The story of Nanuk and Jessie

This story and photos of Nanuk (left) and Jessie (right) are shared by DeeDee in Texas. She writes:

Oh, that was a fun day, the day we brought our second dog home. She's a Pyrenees mix rescue named Jessie.  It had been raining and raining for weeks and this was her first day at our home.  She was used to living outside all the time and is a bit of a tomboy.  The back yard was so muddy and our yard was on a hill.  No trees, just grass and mud. Nanuk, our 1 year old male Kuvasz, and Jessie were just getting to know each other...I let the dogs out to go to the bathroom, and I don't know how she discovered how to do this but she jumped at the top of the hill and slid down to the bottom....like a slip-and-slide.  Nanuk watched her and decided that looked fun so he joined her.  The two of them would run to the top of the hill and jump and slide all the way to the bottom...OVER AND OVER for HOURS.  They were already muddy so I just let them play and bond. They were like two little kids playing on a slip-and-slide. They took out all the grass and it made a slick slide. 

When they were finally exhausted and wanted to come in, the mud was just packed into their fur.  I thought about using the water hose outside but it was near 30 degrees outside and I didn't want to squirt them with freezing cold water. But looking back I probably should have. I showered them in the shower but it took me a month to get all the dirt off the floors.  Thank goodness I kept them contained into one small area till I could get them all cleaned up.  

That day, they were throwing their whole bodies into it....sliding with all their heart. Wish I had video.

They had so much fun that day I would do it again if I could go back in time....they became best friends that day and are very close now.